Girona to Barcelona
It's not easy to find the timetables of the trains to Barcelons. There are two lines:
- normal trains (MD) take 1h 15 min. Slower trains (R) 1h 30 min. If you want to visit Barcelona get of at Passeig de Gràcia. From there you can walk down to Les Rambles and Barri Gòtic etc. Check the link with the tametibles. On the return make sure not to take a train that goes by the coast. Last train is not later than 9pm, check well the timetable. Beware of thieves in the metro, sometimes they work in group. One clashes on you and the others cleans you up.
- fast trains take 30 min and use dedicated train line. Price vary from 11 euros if you are very lucky to 16 and more. They should be more reliable if you need to take a plane that day. This is the link, you need to fill the form: Girona and Barcelona Sants. From Barcelona Sants take the metro to Passeig the Gràcia- which often makes the journey as long as with the normal trains.
If you are in a low budget try blablacar.
Girona is a safe city. Myself I haven't had any problem with the car, but once a customer got robbed. As once in 10 years is a low rate, you may take the risk, just don't leave anything visible in the car.
If for any reason you prefer paying for a secure parking, here are the options:
Parking Eiximenis is the closest to the appartment, but doesn't open 24h a day.
Parking Plaça Catalunya open 24h a day and it's about 10 minutes walk.
Have a look at my map with their location.
Girona airport to Girona?
Check the timetable in this link:
It takes 30 min and it costs less than 3 euros.
My recommendations in a blog
Have a look!
Arrival and departure
We try to be flexible to lengthen your stay as long as possible.
If we don't have a check-out in the morning of your arrival, you can check-in as early as you want. Otherwise, it will take as som time to clean it and it will be ready between 1 and 2. You may however leave your baggage after 12.
If we don't have a check-in in the afternoon of your departure, you can check-out at 2pm. Otherwise we will need to start cleaning around 11:30.
This is my small blogspot with a few curiosities:
A shop with bikes, 5 minutes from the apartment:
A friend of mine is a professional guide and organizes hikes in the nature:
Also, you may try an alternative way to rent a car:
Barcelona airport to Girona by train
Getting to Girona by train is easy. First you need to take the train to Barcelona, and then another train to Girona. The tricks are:
1) at the airport, take a train to Barcelona even if there is a bus, as you will already be in the train station.
2) buy just one ticket from aeroport to Girona, you save money. Also, consider NOT buying return as depending on the timetable of the return you may need to buy a fast train to save you from the stress of unknowns...
3) in Barcelona, don't get off at Barcelona Sants, which is the central, but at the next, Barcelona Passeig de Gràcia. It is the same rail that will take you to Girona, so you won't neet 15 minutes walk in the central station.
You may check the timetables here:
Origen: aeroport Destination: Girona
Girona is a reasonably safe city, so usually there is no need for payed parkings. Of course in high season there are more chances to be unlucky, and in any case don't blame on me if anything happens :).
Don't leave anything on the view inside the car, not even a bag, especially if you have a brand new rented car. But again I have lived in Girona for ten years and never had any problem.
If you decide to leave your car overnight you may try:
- have a look at Google at the search 'Parking Girona' or here
- parking Eixmenis. About 20€ per night.
Short notice stays
1-2 nights stay
We usually don't take 1-2 nights stay as that would prevent longer bookings. However, if you are coming or leaving immediately after or before another booking (e.g. you arrive on monday, and another booking leaves on monday, or you leave on friday, when another booking arrives) we'll be glad to take the booking, but an additional fee of 40€ will be charged. Check the calendar.
Long term stays
Some times we get a request for a quote for a 3-6 months stay. Although we are extremely happy to take them, please note:
Parking for bikes
If you are renting bikes during your stay, the best advice is to rent a place in a parking nearby, just 2 minutes walk. The parking is garded and bikes will be locked just in front of the gardian. So it will be very safe, but the owners of the parking make sure you know the following rules:
- you must bring your own lockes
- insurance doesn't cover thefts. Althought this may sound a bit scaring, I have to say that I have checked it myself and the parking is absolutely safe, plus bikes are locked just in front of the security guard, who is permanently there.
Some guests have already rented this place and they all are happy about it. Also, rates are very reasonable- about 10 € per bike (any number of nights).
The parking is 5 minutes walk away. See the map in a new window here.
How do I get to the apartment without car?
If you have arrived by train from Barcelona or by bus from the airport, you will be in the train/bus station. You may:
- take a cab, that will leave you in front of the door in 10 minutes.
- or you may have a pleasant walk, 10-15 minutes. The general direction is to 'Les Rambles'. First, from the bus station walk down to carretera de Barcelona, a busy motorway (won't be long). Cross this motorway and take left on this road to Placa Marques de Camps. Keep walking on the same pavement through the square. The pavement now goes right to Avinguda Jaume I. You need to cross the Avenue to carrer nou, which is a commercial street. No more cars from here on!. Walk all along carrer Nou, follow straight across the bridge and then turn left: Les Rambles. Walk in all the way. At the very end, the street goes right and then there is a crossroad. The road on your left is Ballesteries. Walk left and in 50 m you will see a sign on the left of a dark-brown door: 'Espai de ioga'. The door is just in front of a stone fountain. To check-in, just follow the instructions you received by email.
Has the apartment a parking place?
No.Very few houses in Barri Vell have, as it is a peatonal area and ground floors are full of restaurants, shops etc. There is a very large parking place just 5 minutes walk. See the blue areas marked in the map:
Arriving by taxi
Arriving by car
The entrance to the Barri Vell is permitted only three times. That means leaving and collecting luggage, plus one extra entrance. The car restriction enhances the quality of life of people in Girona. You have two choices:
- if you don't have a heavy luggage I would recommend you to park outside Barri Vell. It's just a 5 minutes walk, and it's much less prone to mistakes. You may park in the blue areas of the map below.
- if you really need to get to the entrance by car,see the map below. First get to Plaça Catalunya (car icon in the map), which is the only entrance to the Old Town ( choose it as destination, see for instance the route from Barcelona). When you arrive to Plaça Catalunya, drive ahead to Barri Vell (you will see a sign warning entrance restricted), then Plaça del Vi, Carrer Ciutadans, turn left (take care not to follow straight), and then after another turn you get to carrer Ballesteries. Just 50 meters ahead, on the left side, there is a Bar called 'La Terra'. The apartments' door is on the left. You may call me at the buzzer 'Espai de ioga', or just open the doors with the instructions you were given. You may park on the side for a few minutes, but don't leave it unattended (police don't like that procedure). Keep in mind the buses keep driving through and they will make you leave. Later, drive ahead to the parkings sites 1 and 2. We are sorry for these inconvenients, but we are sure you will certainly appreciate the confort of living in a car restriced area.
See the map and icons in a new window
What is the address of the apartment?
The apartment is in the centre of the Old Town. The full address is:
c. Ballesteries, 23, 3r Left
c. Ballesteries, 23, 2n